Does ram affect video streaming? + Zeroshock question?

Beginner's questions about the IdeaPad S

Moderator: Moderators

Does ram affect video streaming? + Zeroshock question?

Postby fixedgeargus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:51 am

I just bought the 512mb ram/80gb hd Black Lenovo. So far LOVE IT.

However, I am getting very jarry/lost frames when streaming hulu.com. I have yet to receive my 2gb ram stick...does my current 512mb ram have anything to do with my current not-so-good video playback?

I do not have unrealistic hopes, but have read here on the forum, all too often, that people are getting hulu to work great for them...

hmmm...

Anyone know what size zeroshock III case works best for the lenovo S10 3 cell? How about the Lenovo S10 6 cell? What anout both?

Thanks
fixedgeargus
Beginner

Advertisement

Re: Does ram affect video streaming? + Zeroshock question?

Postby SystemJinx » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:27 pm

More memory certainly wouldn't hurt. Once you install the 2GB RAM chip, there's a way of increasing the maximum video memory from 64MB to 128MB in Windows XP.

If you right click on the desktop, select Graphics Properties, then click the Information button, you will notice the system reports the maximum video memory is 64MB. There's a trick to get the maximum graphics memory to 128MB.

- First, this trick won't work with a stock 512MB machine. So install more memory first.
- Press F2 right when the system starts booting to enter the BIOS.
- Press the right arrow to move to the Exit tab.
- Press the down arrow to select Load Setup Default and press Enter.
- Select Yes to Load default settings.
- Arrow up to Exit Saving Changes.
- The system will reboot and you will now see the maximum memory set to 128MB.
Ruby Red Lenovo IdeaPad S10
Upgrades: 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive
Internal Bluetooth!
SystemJinx

Color and Model: Red S10
OS(s) installed: XP Home [SP3]

Postby fixedgeargus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:51 pm

WOW.

Thank you so much. Will do the second Newegg gets me my memory...today is the 7th day of their eggsaver 3-7 day shipping. Hopefully I can do it all tonight.

I am finally starting to understand this whole BIOS talk now(now I know where to find it)

Thank You
fixedgeargus
Beginner

Postby hcforde » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:04 pm

But does this actually help video streaming, looking at 720p, etc. It seems like when looking at a 720p on my machine it got worse, more hiccups. Wouldn't getting rid of the bloatware be more effective? I am trying to find out whatI can get rid of other than the internet security it came with. I have been looking on this site and not found anything of that nature.
hcforde
Beginner

Postby SystemJinx » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:50 pm

There's a Hulu thread here. Looks like the stuttering may be due to the Atom's limited processor power. By the end of the thread, they say to set IE or Firefox to high priority, giving more system resources to the browser.

With that said, I haven't tried Hulu on my S10, but I do use iTunes and watch movies on it with no troubles whatsoever.
Ruby Red Lenovo IdeaPad S10
Upgrades: 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive
Internal Bluetooth!
SystemJinx

Color and Model: Red S10
OS(s) installed: XP Home [SP3]

Postby mister2 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:30 pm

fixedgeargus wrote:Anyone know what size zeroshock III case works best for the lenovo S10 3 cell? How about the Lenovo S10 6 cell? What anout both?

I have the 11" Zeroshock III and it's a tad big. The 10.4" might fit but it may be very very tight. I don't have a 6 cell battery but from the looks of it, it should fit in the 11".
mister2
Site Admin

Color and Model: White S10
OS(s) installed: Windows 7

Postby fixedgeargus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:03 pm

mister2 wrote:
fixedgeargus wrote:Anyone know what size zeroshock III case works best for the lenovo S10 3 cell? How about the Lenovo S10 6 cell? What anout both?

I have the 11" Zeroshock III and it's a tad big. The 10.4" might fit but it may be very very tight. I don't have a 6 cell battery but from the looks of it, it should fit in the 11".

Does the tad big size get to you at all? I will be throwing this thing aroung in my Chrome messenger bag biking all around Milwaukee to school and such. I want something to properly fit protect my super sweet Lenovo S10, at the same time, I don't want my case defeating the purpose of my netbook's size(I am leaning towards zeroshock in this way)...I don't want to "squeeze" it into the 10.4 and guarantee the 6 cell won't fit. I guess my question is, Is the 11" too big for it? I know it will work, I just want it to be perfect. I am very obsessive in that way... Then again, from what you say, the 6 cell might fit nice and tight, just right.

2gb Ram install successful!

First BIOS experience successful - 128mb video ram
fixedgeargus
Beginner

Postby str8flexed » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Hey there. I have the 3-cell and the 8.9" zeroshock fits like a glove. I think the 6-cell would bulge much more and would probably STILL fit, but it would be a little ugly. To improve Hulu playback and especially x264 Blurays, I would download the K-lite Codec pack, use Media Player Classic that is included with it, and then download CoreAVC. CoreAVC is better than the other "standard" FFDshow decoder and uses much less CPU than everything else. I was skeptical at first but it has made my 720P bluray playback excellent.

I also ride a fixed gear by the way. I have a Surly Steamroller <3
I'm selling my excellent condition S10:
http://s10lenovo.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1861

160gig HD, 1 gig ram, 3 cell battery. Absolutely mint.
str8flexed
Beginner

Postby mister2 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:51 pm

fixedgeargus wrote:
mister2 wrote:I have the 11" Zeroshock III and it's a tad big. The 10.4" might fit but it may be very very tight. I don't have a 6 cell battery but from the looks of it, it should fit in the 11".

Does the tad big size get to you at all? I will be throwing this thing aroung in my Chrome messenger bag biking all around Milwaukee to school and such. I want something to properly fit protect my super sweet Lenovo S10, at the same time, I don't want my case defeating the purpose of my netbook's size(I am leaning towards zeroshock in this way)...I don't want to "squeeze" it into the 10.4 and guarantee the 6 cell won't fit. I guess my question is, Is the 11" too big for it? I know it will work, I just want it to be perfect. I am very obsessive in that way... Then again, from what you say, the 6 cell might fit nice and tight, just right.

It doesn't get to me at all. For me, even a thin sleeve would of done the job as my S10 doesn't see any kind of abuse at all. It's usually hand carried all the time. If you want a perfect fit, the 11" is not it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mister2
Site Admin

Color and Model: White S10
OS(s) installed: Windows 7

Postby fixedgeargus » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:14 am

str8flexed wrote:Hey there. I have the 3-cell and the 8.9" zeroshock fits like a glove. I think the 6-cell would bulge much more and would probably STILL fit, but it would be a little ugly. To improve Hulu playback and especially x264 Blurays, I would download the K-lite Codec pack, use Media Player Classic that is included with it, and then download CoreAVC. CoreAVC is better than the other "standard" FFDshow decoder and uses much less CPU than everything else. I was skeptical at first but it has made my 720P bluray playback excellent.

I also ride a fixed gear by the way. I have a Surly Steamroller <3

Fits like a glove? Hmmm. Very tempting. A few pictures would have me sold. fixedgeargus@gmail.com I can't seem to view half the pics on this forum.

A K-lite Codec pack will improve my overall video playback? Cause really the only video watching I do is streaming video off youTube and hulu and cnn and others. Since my 2gb ram upgrade and the BIOS adjustment, I really havn't seen an improvement on video playback. I am beginning to think it is my wireless internet at home, but our Compaq years old laptop streams perfectly. I will be at UW-Milwaukee today to test it out with their internet.

My fixies - Bianchi SASS, Medici, Sekai
http://fixedgeargus.blogspot.com/2008/01/279.html
http://fixedgeargus.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... day-3.html
http://fixedgeargus.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... fixed.html
fixedgeargus
Beginner

Next

Return to Beginner's Section