amru's Ultimate Dualboot; OS X install Thread

Discussion on installing OS X

Moderator: SilverZero

Forum rules
The S netbook is NOT an Apple product and was never intended to run Mac OSX. Fortunately, enthusiasts have found ways to make OSX run on our netbook. However, the process may not be smooth for some. Make sure you have patience and time to get it to run. Most importantly, motivation to read and learn. This forum contains enough information to get OSX running. Most problems you may encounter can be solved just by reading through the forums or searching. So please take the time and read through the forums!

amru's Ultimate Dualboot; OS X install Thread

Postby amru » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:02 pm

Before I start I'd like to say thanks to the creator[s] of the msiwind distro and the following forums and their respective members for either helping me or pointing me in the right direction, whether directly or not.

s10lenovo.com
insanelymac.com
netbooktech.com
msiwind.net
osx86.thefreesuite.com

Credits go to everyone who created the files and so on, I did nothing but compile and install everything, thus creating this procedure of my experience.

This guide [like many others] covers the installation of the msiwind distro on a Lenovo S10. It is to help fellow enthusiasts that want to install a second OS on their system. Remember, if you like OSX, go buy it! Also as a reminder, this guide is a dual-boot guide [assuming XP is already installed], though I’m sure you can figure out how to do a single-boot method from this. There are MANY diffrent ways to go about doing this.. this is just what I did.

Neither I nor any of the forums listed above are to be held responsible for anything that happens [negative or not]... and know that you are... proceeding at your own risk.

Now that I got that out of the way, let’s start!!

The first thing I did was uninstall OKR [one key recovery], so for those of you looking for that option, it should be that same, but with 3 partitions. One for XP, one for OKR, and one for OSX.

Here are my 2 partitions. Yes, XP was converted to NFTS from the default FAT32 using partition magic 8, which was graciously provided by my boss. Also you wont see the 3rd default EISA 7GB partition, which I deleted. Keep in mind you want to format the OSX volume as NTFS and name it whatever you want it to be called, it’ll show up later in disk utility.

I named mine "osx" and partitioned it equally w/ XP

Shut down windows. This next step requires the msiwindosx.iso burnt as well as an external DVD player ready to go.

Turn the computer on while tapping F12 [Fn+F11] so it gives boot options. Choose the external drive and press enter when prompted with OSX disc. It'll now go through loading everything it needs so don’t worry :) just wait a bit

Here is a shot of the S10 w/ my 22". Doesn’t the 22” look massive? Yikes, like a regular laptop to a big screen Plasma almost. Hah.

Once darwinx86 is done loading everything, it'll go through the regular OSX install prompts, so just follow them for the most part. I have pics just incase ;)

When the OSX installer loads, select "Utilities" followed by 'Disk Utility"

Once you do that you'll see you HDD and 2 partitions. One disk0s1, which is your XP partition and the other one for OSX

Select your OSX HDD [osx in my case] and select the erase tab. then from the volume format drop down menu choose Extended Journaled and proceed to erase.

After that’s done, let it continue w/ your OSX install. Agree to the prompt, then select the partition you want to install it on [osx for me]

It’ll want to check your installation disk first, followed by the installation. Go take a break... this'll take a while, but make sure the laptop is plugged in!!

Once done, it'll restart... and you'll probably end up getting a HFS+ partition error upon boot like me. If you don’t, just skip to the bottom, otherwise read on

Kill the computer and start it while tapping F12 and boot the DVD install disk again. It’ll go through its whole sequence and once you get to the OSX installer, select Utilities > Terminal from the bar at the top.

and type (without quotes)
fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

When you press enter it'll ask if you're sure you want to mess w/ it [i'm not quite sure what it asks since I don’t have pics or remember it well, but it's something w/ boot record lol]. Anyway say, "Hell yea I wanna mess w/ it... I didn’t come this far to be stopped”

Once that’s done Kill the computer [if it hasn’t restarted] and turn it on again... now the Darwin boot loader should start up fine :)

At this point you should be able to get into XP with out a problem when selected from the Darwin screen, but when you choose OSX, you'll end up in an endless loop when you get to the migration assistant/file transfer screen.

The next steps are to bypass it, but be careful while you type it, and recheck before you press enter just incase. The only reason I’m giving a heads up is because I had to do this THREE bloody times to get it right... the only reason I even caught my mistake and didn’t give up was because I had pics as documentation of my steps. And it’s upon seeing those pics I realized I had stupid mistakes like a period here or there or a spelling mistake. -__-

Ready? Let’s go.

So we’re at the Darwin screen where it asks you to choose an OS.

Type this (without quote)

-s

Followed by

/sbin/fsck –fy

After that type

/sbin/mount –uw /

Now type

cd /Volumes/****/var/db/

* = this is your volume name, which is “osx” in my case. If you don’t remember what you named it, check by looking back before you typed in the /mount command. It should say “The volume *your.volume.name.here* appears to be ok”

Type

touch .AppleSetupDone

Now, we’ll be creating a password for the root account, so make sure you remember this. I made it the same as my usual login password.

Type

passwd

It’ll now ask you to enter your password, and re-enter it. Don’t worry, the cursor doesn’t move, so it’s not frozen or anything :D

We are done here so now all we have to do is to type

exit

Once that is done, it’ll logout, restart, do its thing and go straight to the logon screen!

This is where you type “ root “ as the account name and whatever password you choose earlier. Once you do that it’ll log you in.

Now, the first thing you want t do is to create an Administrator account for yourself (don’t use root.. not to good of an idea)

I went to system preferences > accounts > and created myself a new admin account. Once I did that, I logged out of “root” and logged back in as “ amru ”

Now that we have the OS installed and can boot to it fine (test it out! Restart a couple times alternating the OS’s), we’ll move on the next step of getting stuff to work like wifi, video, audio etc.

first thing we'll tackle. WIFI and updates.

download the attached bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.1pre.sh file and unzip it to the desktop [its the easiest this way]
bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.1pre.sh.zip

Open Terminal (applications > Utilities > Terminal) and drag the unzipped file into the Terminal window. It'll tell you straight up what you need to type to run it. Type that and your password and exit terminal.

Now reboot. Once you restart you airport should be on and it *should* detect a WAP, if not make sure your SSID is broadcasting, or just type it in manually like I did. If you can’t get it to work... just troubleshoot it further since airport should be on now and that problem was solved.

Now head over to the software update and let it run, and once again make sure you have it plugged in. After its done it'll restart and you'll log back in and probably notice not only is the wifi dead, but the grapix are now at 800x600 instead of the previous 1024x600. Re-install the WiFi like you did earlier. Once you have that we'll move on to updating the grapix.

DL the attached 0x27e.zip and unzip/install the 2 files [AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext] using the > *ktext helper b7* <
0x27ae.zip

From > *Miglos .kexts* <, install the following. You can install the rest but I had some problems the first and second time so I selected and installed these.

ACPIPS2Nub.kext
AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
AppleACPIPlatform.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
EHCISleepEnabler.kext

For the most part now everything should be working.. except audio. To get audio to work this is what I did, while restarting between each step.

1. Delete the AppleHDA.kext from /extensions [I put the backup in my "Backup Extensions" folder]
2. Install AzaliaAudio.pkg > *AzaliaAudio* <
3. Install CHUD tools > *Apple Developer Tools* <
4. Install Audioeee 1.0.1 and add it to the start-up/login items [Audio at this point should work now, you just have to toggle between headphones and internal speakers using icon next to the airport one]
step 4 Audieee_1.0.1.zip

5. Install Spark. I used Spark to edit/add a new Hotkey to the System. Now if I press Cntrl+F9 it'll toggle Un/Mute. > *Spark* <

At this point everything should be working.. except LAN, I think. If I missed anything let me know and I'll check and get back to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by amru on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
amru
Experienced

Advertisement

Re: amru's Ultimate Dualboot; OS X install Thread

Postby smrtshiet » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:06 pm

Awesome post! Bookmarking this for future reference when I go home next week for Thanksgiving break
smrtshiet
Beginner

Postby donaldb » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:35 pm

I bookmarked it as well. looking forward to the rest of the info
now I need a new hard drive for my red racer. where is the best place to get another drive?
Wyoming
donaldb
Novice

Color and Model: S10 Red
OS(s) installed: Win 7

Postby scottyinco » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:07 pm

donaldb wrote:I bookmarked it as well. looking forward to the rest of the info
now I need a new hard drive for my red racer. where is the best place to get another drive?

Newegg, of course. :) Follow a link from the forum.
Black Lenovo S10, 2gb RAM, 500gb Western Digital HDD, Bluetooth, 6-cell chinese knockoff battery.
scottyinco
Master

Postby Leon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:21 pm

Good job! Go to the head of the class man!
Leon
Master

Postby amru » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Updated! :ugeek:
amru
Experienced

Postby hl2046 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:06 am

amru, please share how to activate the "2 fingers scrolling" pls, appreciated : ), thank you
hl2046
Beginner

Postby yyc2003 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:52 am

Hi amru ;

This is a nice post! But i can not download the files for the audio.

could you please send the 4 files to me? Tks!
(AzaliaAudio.pkg CHUD tools *Apple Developer Tools* Audieee_1.0.1.zip Spark)

my email : andy.yyc@gmail.com
yyc2003
Beginner

Postby amru » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:11 am

yyc2003 wrote:Hi amru ;

I just checked the links, and they all work for me... :?: did you click on the link instead of rightclick + saveas?
amru
Experienced

Postby yyc2003 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:29 pm

amru wrote:
yyc2003 wrote:Hi amru ;

I just checked the links, and they all work for me... :?: did you click on the link instead of rightclick + saveas?

I clicked on the links, but they do not work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yyc2003
Beginner

Next

Return to Installation