How To Use Onekey recovery Button??

All versions of Windows OS

Moderator: SilverZero

How To Use Onekey recovery Button??

Postby funkeyz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:47 am

Hi, I need information for use Onekey recovery. how to using it? on system turn on or turn off? i don't know to using this features. I need our helps. thank you
funkeyz
New User

Advertisement

Re: How To Use Onekey recovery Button??

Postby gospeed.racer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:14 am

push it and a program will pop up and ask if you want to create a restore disc or back up your files. There are no options for this- if you choose to back up/create a restore it backs up everything. With a full (fresh, not Lenovo) install including Office 2007, all the antivirus, etc my install was around 7gb, and using compression it took it down to 4.4gb. I burned directly to a DVD without storing the recovery on the disc (mainly because it requires a partition which I do not like to do) and once it was done I booted up with the new dvd and performed a restore- worked flawlessly and took around 8 minutes. When it turned on it looked exactly as before, and even my wireless password was still there.

The only bad part I am finding is that it is sometimes buggy- I get an error once in a while when trying to burn directly to a DVD (I have been playing with i quite a bit) but it may very well be due to my burner. The ports on these Lenovo dont seem to supply very good power for a external drive
gospeed.racer
Novice

Postby SystemJinx » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:03 am

If you push the recovery button while the S10 is off, it will power on and boot into it's own little OS which allows you to repair windows, restore from a backup, install a factory fresh install of Windows XP, or simply reboot the S10.

Try pressing the recovery button some time. You can always exit and reboot the machine without making any changes to it, and you will have a better understanding of what to do when you really need to use it. I played with this stuff as soon as I got my S10, because odds are, I'd need it sooner or later. :lol:

Somewhat off topic, but One Key Recovery only formats/backups the C: drive. Nothing is changed on the D: drive. The first thing I did with my S10 was to move the My Documents folder from the C: drive to the D: drive. That way if I ever need to reinstall the OS using One Key Recovery, everything in my documents will not get deleted. I highly recommend everyone do this.
Last edited by SystemJinx on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruby Red Lenovo IdeaPad S10
Upgrades: 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive
Internal Bluetooth!
SystemJinx

Color and Model: Red S10
OS(s) installed: XP Home [SP3]

Postby gospeed.racer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:05 am

thats a good idea, and I didnt realize you could use the onekey powered down..I will have to give it a try tonight (since I am not on the original install I wonder if the onekey reinstall keeps the functionality)
gospeed.racer
Novice

Postby wiraone » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:36 am

I've managed to screwed up my partition thinking that NTFS is much better than the FAT32 the C drive is using at the moment. While doing the restore, it just took so long and I decided to give the 10 seconds salute to shutdown the machine .. and as you guess, this really screwed up the whole lot.. the onekey recovery button does not work, it just said that I'm missing an OS and goes straight trying to boot from a network drive. Managed to recover .. by setting the hidden service partition as boot partition and reinstalled everything, but the one key does not work as expected. Pressing it will boot up WinXP from C and no longer calling the recovery from service partition .. no idea how to get it back tho'..
wiraone
Experienced

Return to Windows